• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 8:34 am

The quest booklet states:
Ogres in HeroQuest
All Ogres occupy one space on the HeroQuest gameboard. No other figure may pass through the same space as an ogre figure, weather they are good or evil. Once an Ogre blocks a corridor, it stays blocked until he either moves or is killed.

The reasoning behind Veil of Mist is that monsters won't "let" you pass them. The issue with Ogres is not that they won't let you pass, but they are too big to pass around. It's a space issue, not an allowance. Veil of Mist allows you to pass by a monster because he can't see you, it's not really the same thing when dealing with an ogre, this is why other monsters can't pass him.
But then again, Veil of Mist is magic: is it just blocking the monster's view of the hero, or does the Hero turn into the mist itself and moves around the monster that way? They are somewhat incorporeal with Pass Through Rock...

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby Stoner81 » November 9th, 2018, 8:42 am

Personally I wouldn't allow Veil of Mist to work with Ogres since, as you say, it is a space issue. They are physically a big monster so obscuring their sight isn't going to be much help with there is no space to get past them.

Good catch this really, I am going to add this to my notes in my Bestiary.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 9th, 2018, 9:03 am

Stoner81 wrote:Personally I wouldn't allow Veil of Mist to work with Ogres since, as you say, it is a space issue. They are physically a big monster so obscuring their sight isn't going to be much help with there is no space to get past them.

Good catch this really, I am going to add this to my notes in my Bestiary.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

Thanks, but this does indeed raise the question of what is actually happening with Veil of Mist... is the hero turning into the mist?
If so all he needs is an area of airflow in order to pass though, not necessarily space to fit his body through. This would actually allow him to pass through furniture as well.
If not and it's just to obstruct vision of the monster and he can't see you passing him, what's to stop someone under the Spell of Invisibility (From WoM) or Disappearance (MotM) from passing by them since they cannot be seen either?

The former of these two options would give Veil of Mist, in essence, more credibility as a usable spell.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Maurice76 » November 9th, 2018, 10:05 am

If the art of the card is any indication, the intention of the Spell is to create a bank of fog and mist, in which sight is very limited. Because it's limited, foe can be mistaken for friend and such and thereby Heroes can sneak past monsters.

As indicated, however, the space needs to exist to begin with. The Ogre has a specific ruling that says it's occopying all physical space in the tile it's standing in, so sneaking past it is simply impossible.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » November 9th, 2018, 10:45 am

wallydubbs wrote:Thanks, but this does indeed raise the question of what is actually happening with Veil of Mist... is the hero turning into the mist?

No the hero isn't.

If you look at the card for the spell you can clearly see a person sneaking and on top of that the spell doesn't specifically state they they turn in to a mist.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby wallydubbs » November 11th, 2018, 10:28 am

Stoner81 wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Thanks, but this does indeed raise the question of what is actually happening with Veil of Mist... is the hero turning into the mist?

No the hero isn't.

If you look at the card for the spell you can clearly see a person sneaking...

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

Yeah but you really can't go by the card's picture, Borin's Armor clearly shows a helmet and yet it's only meant to be plate mail that doesn't slow you down.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Stoner81 » November 11th, 2018, 11:03 am

wallydubbs wrote:Yeah but you really can't go by the card's picture, Borin's Armor clearly shows a helmet and yet it's only meant to be plate mail that doesn't slow you down.

I see your point however, the name "Borin's Armour" implies (to me at least) that it is a full set of armour which would include a helmet, boots and bracers which incidentally a full suit of full plate mail would (I'm thinking of the armour from the Knight of Camelot etc). For this reason I don't allow plate mail (battle plate I call it) or Borin's Armour to be used in conjunction with a helmet, boots or bracers.

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » November 11th, 2018, 1:12 pm

I understand the rules would keep someone from getting by the ogre.
However, one could duck or crawl under an ogre, yes?

Perhaps make a roll when a character attempts to crawl under an ogre while
the spell is in effect. On a skull, the ogre feels them hit its legs and will
reach to grab them or attack them. Come up with some sort of penalty for such
attack and/or defense.

OR, in turn, give the ogre a penalty on any attack/defense while the spell is in effect,
so as to still make it useful with ogres around.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby The Admiral » November 11th, 2018, 4:42 pm

This really is a clash of rules. Per the Ogre rules, no. Per the Veil of mist wording, yes. This really is up to the EW player to decide. Personally I would say yes they can pass. I get the fact that the Ogre is a physical block,but I see the veil of mist allowing the Hero to slip past an unsuspecting ogre. Maybe through his legs, maybe he turns to the side. But if an EW player was to rule no, then I would be totally happy with that.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » November 11th, 2018, 6:05 pm

And if the player crawls beneath an Ogre, shouldn't the Hero "pay" for that in some way, because he has to start crawling and after passing the Ogre, to get up again? Also, you can't crawl as fast as you can walk.

I'd say that makes it way more complicated than it has to be. Also, what's the distance between an Ogre's legs? And does this differ between male en female Ogres?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Against the Ogre Horde