• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby wallydubbs » Friday November 9th, 2018 8:34am

The quest booklet states:
Ogres in HeroQuest
All Ogres occupy one space on the HeroQuest gameboard. No other figure may pass through the same space as an ogre figure, weather they are good or evil. Once an Ogre blocks a corridor, it stays blocked until he either moves or is killed.

The reasoning behind Veil of Mist is that monsters won't "let" you pass them. The issue with Ogres is not that they won't let you pass, but they are too big to pass around. It's a space issue, not an allowance. Veil of Mist allows you to pass by a monster because he can't see you, it's not really the same thing when dealing with an ogre, this is why other monsters can't pass him.
But then again, Veil of Mist is magic: is it just blocking the monster's view of the hero, or does the Hero turn into the mist itself and moves around the monster that way? They are somewhat incorporeal with Pass Through Rock...
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby Stoner81 » Friday November 9th, 2018 8:42am

Personally I wouldn't allow Veil of Mist to work with Ogres since, as you say, it is a space issue. They are physically a big monster so obscuring their sight isn't going to be much help with there is no space to get past them.

Good catch this really, I am going to add this to my notes in my Bestiary.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
User avatar
Stoner81

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Monday November 16th, 2015 5:51pm
Location: England
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby wallydubbs » Friday November 9th, 2018 9:03am

Stoner81 wrote:Personally I wouldn't allow Veil of Mist to work with Ogres since, as you say, it is a space issue. They are physically a big monster so obscuring their sight isn't going to be much help with there is no space to get past them.

Good catch this really, I am going to add this to my notes in my Bestiary.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.


Thanks, but this does indeed raise the question of what is actually happening with Veil of Mist... is the hero turning into the mist?
If so all he needs is an area of airflow in order to pass though, not necessarily space to fit his body through. This would actually allow him to pass through furniture as well.
If not and it's just to obstruct vision of the monster and he can't see you passing him, what's to stop someone under the Spell of Invisibility (From WoM) or Disappearance (MotM) from passing by them since they cannot be seen either?

The former of these two options would give Veil of Mist, in essence, more credibility as a usable spell.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby Maurice76 » Friday November 9th, 2018 10:05am

If the art of the card is any indication, the intention of the Spell is to create a bank of fog and mist, in which sight is very limited. Because it's limited, foe can be mistaken for friend and such and thereby Heroes can sneak past monsters.

As indicated, however, the space needs to exist to begin with. The Ogre has a specific ruling that says it's occopying all physical space in the tile it's standing in, so sneaking past it is simply impossible.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Friday March 9th, 2018 1:19pm
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby Stoner81 » Friday November 9th, 2018 10:45am

wallydubbs wrote:Thanks, but this does indeed raise the question of what is actually happening with Veil of Mist... is the hero turning into the mist?


No the hero isn't.

If you look at the card for the spell you can clearly see a person sneaking and on top of that the spell doesn't specifically state they they turn in to a mist.

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
User avatar
Stoner81

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Monday November 16th, 2015 5:51pm
Location: England
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby wallydubbs » Sunday November 11th, 2018 10:28am

Stoner81 wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Thanks, but this does indeed raise the question of what is actually happening with Veil of Mist... is the hero turning into the mist?


No the hero isn't.

If you look at the card for the spell you can clearly see a person sneaking...

|_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.


Yeah but you really can't go by the card's picture, Borin's Armor clearly shows a helmet and yet it's only meant to be plate mail that doesn't slow you down.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Thursday October 18th, 2018 7:15am
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby Stoner81 » Sunday November 11th, 2018 11:03am

wallydubbs wrote:Yeah but you really can't go by the card's picture, Borin's Armor clearly shows a helmet and yet it's only meant to be plate mail that doesn't slow you down.


I see your point however, the name "Borin's Armour" implies (to me at least) that it is a full set of armour which would include a helmet, boots and bracers which incidentally a full suit of full plate mail would (I'm thinking of the armour from the Knight of Camelot etc). For this reason I don't allow plate mail (battle plate I call it) or Borin's Armour to be used in conjunction with a helmet, boots or bracers.

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
User avatar
Stoner81

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Monday November 16th, 2015 5:51pm
Location: England
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby torilen » Sunday November 11th, 2018 1:12pm

I understand the rules would keep someone from getting by the ogre.
However, one could duck or crawl under an ogre, yes?

Perhaps make a roll when a character attempts to crawl under an ogre while
the spell is in effect. On a skull, the ogre feels them hit its legs and will
reach to grab them or attack them. Come up with some sort of penalty for such
attack and/or defense.

OR, in turn, give the ogre a penalty on any attack/defense while the spell is in effect,
so as to still make it useful with ogres around.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1994
Joined: Friday October 9th, 2009 4:18am
Location: Virginia, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby The Admiral » Sunday November 11th, 2018 4:42pm

This really is a clash of rules. Per the Ogre rules, no. Per the Veil of mist wording, yes. This really is up to the EW player to decide. Personally I would say yes they can pass. I get the fact that the Ogre is a physical block,but I see the veil of mist allowing the Hero to slip past an unsuspecting ogre. Maybe through his legs, maybe he turns to the side. But if an EW player was to rule no, then I would be totally happy with that.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Wednesday April 8th, 2015 7:31am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Does Veil of Mist work on Ogres?

Postby Maurice76 » Sunday November 11th, 2018 6:05pm

And if the player crawls beneath an Ogre, shouldn't the Hero "pay" for that in some way, because he has to start crawling and after passing the Ogre, to get up again? Also, you can't crawl as fast as you can walk.

I'd say that makes it way more complicated than it has to be. Also, what's the distance between an Ogre's legs? And does this differ between male en female Ogres?


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
User avatar
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Friday March 9th, 2018 1:19pm
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Against the Ogre Horde

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests