• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

Stone Doorway question

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Re: Stone Doorway question

Postby Maurice76 » Tuesday January 22nd, 2019 10:56am

wallydubbs wrote:Ok, fine... but wait! Barbarian was only the first of 4 heroes to move! The Elf, Wizard and Dwarf now have the chance to swarm in and attack the orcs, when the orcs should be fully prepared by now on what is to come.

This is a sacrifice for gameplay purposes, really, and applies in a broad sense for the game in general. The Heroes act in turn, then all the monsters, etc ... and everything is basically turn-based. This gives advantage to the group that opens an encounter, as they get to go first and unload everything they can and want upon the enemy that's at that point awaiting their moment to act. The Stone Door doesn't change this fact.

It's also the reason why some named monsters can open doors as well and thereby lay it down on the Heroes before they can act.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby lestodante » Tuesday January 22nd, 2019 3:19pm

Considering the quest in the HQ25 anniversary pack (the one from this forum I mean) Q9 The King of Dawn: A New Found Enemy (part I) by Anderas
we should allow at least 1 more step to the hero who open the stone door so he can step inside and be safe (or at least hope to be safe).
In that quest there is a stone door on the left corridor; the giant stone boulder will come rollin' against the heroes and they can try to progress by walking through the corridor, open the stone door and jump inside the room or the boulder will stomp them.
So I will consider this option: move - open the door - 1 more step to enter the room - end of the turn.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Tuesday January 22nd, 2019 4:00pm

Option 1 then... it's a door, requires no action to open. I have no objection.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday January 23rd, 2019 8:18am

wallydubbs wrote:Option 1 then... it's a door, requires no action to open. I have no objection.

General concensus seems to be option 2 :lol: .

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday January 23rd, 2019 10:22am

Maurice76 wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Option 1 then... it's a door, requires no action to open. I have no objection.

General concensus seems to be option 2 :lol: .

Option 1 was "no action taken" ...
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Postby lestodante » Wednesday January 23rd, 2019 1:42pm

official rules say "no action to open a door" but I also agree... to open a stone door really takes away lot of strenghts.

Rewards:
Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Maurice76 » Wednesday January 23rd, 2019 2:33pm

wallydubbs wrote:Option 1 was "no action taken" ...

But that's what I tried to make clear: the general consensus seems to be that opening a Stone Door requires effort and thereby the action of the Hero performing the opening of said door. Not that it doesn't cost the Hero's action.

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Wednesday January 23rd, 2019 6:04pm

Maurice76 wrote:
wallydubbs wrote:Option 1 was "no action taken" ...

But that's what I tried to make clear: the general consensus seems to be that opening a Stone Door requires effort and thereby the action of the Hero performing the opening of said door. Not that it doesn't cost the Hero's action.

Ah... well I took your earlier refusal and lesto's comment to mean no action... my bad.
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Postby Maurice76 » Thursday January 24th, 2019 6:52am

wallydubbs wrote:Ah... well I took your earlier refusal and lesto's comment to mean no action... my bad.

I guess we're miscommunicating then :P. In my initial post, I wrote this:

Maurice76 wrote:As EW, I would rule that the effort to open such a Stone Door counts as a standard action - and as a standard action, this has implications for anything else said Hero is able to do - and more importantly, not do - within that same turn.

With that, I meant that the Hero opening the door (or attempting to, and failing) won't be able to perform a Search or Attack action, or similar, during that same turn.

Rewards:
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Thursday January 24th, 2019 8:05am

Maurice76 wrote:As EW, I would rule that the effort to open such a Stone Door counts as a standard action - and as a standard action, this has implications for anything else said Hero is able to do - and more importantly, not do - within that same turn.

With that, I meant that the Hero opening the door (or attempting to, and failing) won't be able to perform a Search or Attack action, or similar, during that same turn.[/quote]

Yeah, I must've missed that before. I got it now. Option 2 then.

Anyway, no objections on using a Potion of Strength to open the stone door?
wallydubbs

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

PreviousNext

Return to Against the Ogre Horde