• Advertisement

Pit of Chaos and movement

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Pit of Chaos and movement

Postby The Admiral » Friday April 14th, 2017 3:13pm

How do people handle this? I see two options.
1) No movement on whole pit of chaos squares.
2) No movement on whole and partial pit of chaos squares.

I go for option 2, but also allow movement on partial squares that contain less than half pit.
The Admiral

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Pit of Chaos and movement

Postby knightkrawler » Friday April 14th, 2017 3:32pm

As I'll build my dungeon 2.5D style, tiles with grids, I will have a rule for such things written down.
It might be: if a figure's base fits completely into the "safe" part of the square, all is fine.
If it doesn't, but there is both a "safe" and an "unsafe" part in the same square, then you roll a die. On a [insert a symbol according to the danger here], you fall into whatever the case may be.
On the original tile, intuitively, I would handle it exactly as you.
I have wondered about that shitty quest book entry...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Pit of Chaos and movement

Postby Daedalus » Thursday July 6th, 2017 5:57pm

I'm for no movement on whole Pit of Chaos squares and mostly Pit of Chaos squares. I'd allow movement on partial squares that contain less than half pit. If a square can't be agreed to contain less than half pit, treat it like a special pit trap--rolling a skull means you're now Morcar's boy.

The Pit of Chaos is a pit: ". . . Anyone moving into the pit. . ." Others may not agree, but I'd also allow moving over it:
3) Jump a whole or mostly-pit Pit of Chaos square like a pit trap.

If you wanted a Pit of Chaos in a home-brewed Quest, the EQP provides further rules guidance from a long pit trap:
4) Jump 3 whole or mostly-pit Pit of Chaos squares by rolling a black shield. Jump 2 squares by rolling a white shield.

5) Other tricks to cross Pit of Chaos squares:
  • Rabbit Boots from RotWL
  • Ice Bridge Spell Scroll from the BQP
  • Air Walk potion from the EQP
  • Wand of Magic, Wall of Stone, and Pass Through Rock (or Wall of Stone and Elven Cloak of Passage) for an unlikely move across 2 Pit of Chaos squares
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Against the Ogre Horde