• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Mortal bug...

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Against the Ogre Horde Quest Pack.

Re: Mortal bug...

Postby chaoticprime » January 18th, 2014, 11:43 pm

This can happen on floor two in The Eyes of Chaos.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Sotiris » January 19th, 2014, 4:53 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:Look at the quest n°2 of AGAINST THE OGRE HORDE called "THE OUTER CAVES".
I've encountered a serious problem last week end with my players :
they couldn't finish the quest and I had to add a secret door !
Indeed to complete the quest, the heroes must escape by finding the exit and just before going through the 3 last rooms.
But by entering the second tiny room where the fimir is, the first hero trigs the trap and the door is blocked forever.
The wizard can walk through the wall ok but the others are... going back ?
It's a little bit unfair, they have to start again and to shoot with the bow this fimir, search for traps and try to disarm it before entering ...

According to EU rules/questbook the hero has a chance to avoid the triggering square which is 1 square north. I prefer to keep this EU rule at falling block traps in my NA campaign. Splits more often the party because usually the rock falls behind you and you can't decide which square to select anymore. Also when you attempt to disarm this kind of trap you don't know where it falls if you fail: in front of you? between you and the rest of heroes? on you?? I like the way it works! Just needs one modification which i use in my home-made quests: when the falling rocks land on different square than the triggering square the 3 B.p. of damage are divided to 2+1 respectively.
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 3rd, 2014, 12:55 am

Coppez wrote:haven't played the ogre horde yet but i'm going to soon. I noticed another problem in following Quest "The Pit Of Chaos". Somewhere in the bottom right section of the map you have a room with a zombie, a chest and a falling rock. So when you pass the falling rock, your trapped in there unless you are the wizard or the elf with the "Pass Through Rock Spell". And the chest isn't numbered as well.

EU Falling Block: "When a character player moves through a square containing a falling block symbol, a block will fall." This should happen immediately, not after movement is complete, right? Therefore after moving into and out of (through) the square, the triggering Hero will be in the arrow square and will be subject to damage. Should he survive, he then may retreat back to the doorway to avoid being trapped. That would be wise, as the unmarked chest is a merely an empty dummy, meant to lure the Hero forward to his doom.

The next Quest, Fortress of the Ogre Lord, contains another falling block trap beyond a secret door that connects to the central chamber. This trap will seal in an incautious Hero if he doesn't immediately search for traps and secret doors at the first square of this tiny corridor section. It leaves him with just the square he is standing on--nice touch.

A Hero with a Pass Through Rock spell or spell scroll could go on a rescue mission and pass the Ring of Return to a Hero trapped by a falling block. So all is not lost...at least if the NA artifacts are used.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » March 3rd, 2014, 2:20 am

Daedalus wrote:
Coppez wrote:haven't played the ogre horde yet but i'm going to soon. I noticed another problem in following Quest "The Pit Of Chaos". Somewhere in the bottom right section of the map you have a room with a zombie, a chest and a falling rock. So when you pass the falling rock, your trapped in there unless you are the wizard or the elf with the "Pass Through Rock Spell". And the chest isn't numbered as well.

EU Falling Block: "When a character player moves through a square containing a falling block symbol, a block will fall." This should happen immediately, not after movement is complete, right? Therefore after moving into and out of (through) the square, the triggering Hero will be in the arrow square and will be subject to damage. Should he survive, he then may retreat back to the doorway to avoid being trapped. That would be wise, as the unmarked chest is a merely an empty dummy, meant to lure the Hero forward to his doom.

The next Quest, Fortress of the Ogre Lord, contains another falling block trap beyond a secret door that connects to the central chamber. This trap will seal in an incautious Hero if he doesn't immediately search for traps and secret doors at the first square of this tiny corridor section. It leaves him with just the square he is standing on--nice touch.

A Hero with a Pass Through Rock spell or spell scroll could go on a rescue mission and pass the Ring of Return to a Hero trapped by a falling block. So all is not lost...at least if the NA artifacts are used.

Right conclusions.
But EU rules on falling blocks and NA artifacts? Unlikely to happen, not considered by the quest pack writer(s).
Sometimes, heroes die.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 3rd, 2014, 3:05 pm

Yeah, I was thinking of NA rules-using forum members with the save. If you're not mixing rules, you're screwed with the traps as written. Lesson to be learned: Ogres are really big dicks.

There is another way to save an entombed Hero which I didn't have time to add in, as I was rushed to go to work. Instead of passing the Ring of Return, a Pass Through Rock spell scroll could be delivered. Too bad the EU expansions didn't include spell scrolls either. :(
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » June 3rd, 2016, 3:54 am

Daedalus wrote: EU Falling Block: "When a character player moves through a square containing a falling block symbol, a block will fall." This should happen immediately, not after movement is complete, right? Therefore after moving into and out of (through) the square, the triggering Hero will be in the arrow square and will be subject to damage. Should he survive, he then may retreat back to the doorway to avoid being trapped. That would be wise, as the unmarked chest is a merely an empty dummy, meant to lure the Hero forward to his doom.

Interesting, that wording had never registered with me, although it does give some chance for those block traps to actually hit you!. When I played EU rules, I always went by
"Traps are not put on the board until a character player either searches for traps or moves into a square containing a trap, as shown on the Quest map."

How do others play this?

No such ambiguity with NA rules thank goodness.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » June 3rd, 2016, 5:18 am

Growing up (UK 1st ed), the trigger and the fall was on the arrow.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » June 3rd, 2016, 5:46 am

slev wrote:Growing up (UK 1st ed), the trigger and the fall was on the arrow.
We always played that the trigger was the rock icon and it fell on the arrow square. I think this is right, or why would it need to be on two squares?

The AtOH quest book has a lot of mistakes. :roll:
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » June 3rd, 2016, 11:14 am

Gold Bearer wrote:We always played that the trigger was the rock icon and it fell on the arrow square. I think this is right, or why would it need to be on two squares?

Alas, 'Tis!
Also, "move into" doesn't mean you gotta end your move there, but merely try to move through there. You're interrupted triggering the trap anyway.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » February 12th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I've seen another problem with 'The Outer Caves' quest. Room C has no treasure chests? Also, it seems odd that the Headquarters of the Ogres has no, well, ogres?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Against the Ogre Horde