• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Death Mist

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Re: The Death Mist

Postby wallydubbs » Saturday April 6th, 2019 11:20pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Actually, reading the quest, the death mist only does damage when it is moved through heroes... not when the heroes move over it. It wouldn't matter if the hero cast veil or not... The mist would not do damage when the hero passes through it. The mist only does damage on zargon's turn

Most of Return of the Witch Lord is relatively easy, especially if heroes are stocked up on Healing potions. I think allowing the heroes to pass through the Death Mist on their turn without taking damage would make The Silent Passages much too easy.
Although playtesting through this quest with mercenaries, that would almost definitely result in casualties on their part. But for the 4 main heroes, asides from the Forbidden Caverns, the quests don't seem tough enough.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Postby Maurice76 » Sunday April 7th, 2019 8:00am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Actually, reading the quest, the death mist only does damage when it is moved through heroes... not when the heroes move over it. It wouldn't matter if the hero cast veil or not... The mist would not do damage when the hero passes through it. The mist only does damage on zargon's turn

That's being a stickler for the rules, if you ask me, though. It's not in line with what the designer of that monster had in mind, if you read between the lines.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Sunday April 7th, 2019 1:58pm

If the designer had something else in mind, they wouldn't have specifically stated "on zargon's turn"
You can play it how you want, but I think more interpretation is being done than is needed here.
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby The Admiral » Sunday April 7th, 2019 2:43pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:If the designer had something else in mind, they wouldn't have specifically stated "on zargon's turn"
You can play it how you want, but I think more interpretation is being done than is needed here.

Yes, you're right. It's been a looooong time since I played this. Damage only done on Zargon's turn, so veil of mist is irrelevant.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » Friday November 1st, 2019 1:56pm

I try to find ways to make Return of the Witch Lord more difficult for the heroes. Not to an insane degree, but this quest pack is one of the easier ones, considering skeletons and Zombies don't do much damage.
Personally, I'd mark damage to the heroes any time they cross Death Mist as well. Maybe I'd give them a pass with Veil of Mist.
In like manner I raise the stats of all monsters in the Forgotten Legion.
And I also let Kassandra and/or Skulmar stand with the Witch Lord in his Court on Quest 10 (given that they escaped their respective quests).
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby Jalapenotrellis » Friday November 1st, 2019 1:59pm

I like that idea--if they escape, they get to come back!
Jalapenotrellis

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:

Postby wallydubbs » Friday November 1st, 2019 3:00pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I like that idea--if they escape, they get to come back!

Thanks, I also give Skulmar the Necromancer spells from WoM. There are very few bosses who use spells in RorWL, so if Skulmar uses Necromancer spells, they're still less effective then what the Witch Lord uses.
wallydubbs

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Postby The Admiral » Saturday November 2nd, 2019 6:37am

wallydubbs wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:I like that idea--if they escape, they get to come back!

Thanks, I also give Skulmar the Necromancer spells from WoM. There are very few bosses who use spells in RorWL, so if Skulmar uses Necromancer spells, they're still less effective then what the Witch Lord uses.

Nice touch.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
The Admiral

Archmage
Archmage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Return of the Witch Lord