• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The Death Mist

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Re: The Death Mist

Postby wallydubbs » April 6th, 2019, 11:20 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Actually, reading the quest, the death mist only does damage when it is moved through heroes... not when the heroes move over it. It wouldn't matter if the hero cast veil or not... The mist would not do damage when the hero passes through it. The mist only does damage on zargon's turn

Most of Return of the Witch Lord is relatively easy, especially if heroes are stocked up on Healing potions. I think allowing the heroes to pass through the Death Mist on their turn without taking damage would make The Silent Passages much too easy.
Although playtesting through this quest with mercenaries, that would almost definitely result in casualties on their part. But for the 4 main heroes, asides from the Forbidden Caverns, the quests don't seem tough enough.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Maurice76 » April 7th, 2019, 8:00 am

Jalapenotrellis wrote:Actually, reading the quest, the death mist only does damage when it is moved through heroes... not when the heroes move over it. It wouldn't matter if the hero cast veil or not... The mist would not do damage when the hero passes through it. The mist only does damage on zargon's turn

That's being a stickler for the rules, if you ask me, though. It's not in line with what the designer of that monster had in mind, if you read between the lines.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Maurice76

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Jalapenotrellis » April 7th, 2019, 1:58 pm

If the designer had something else in mind, they wouldn't have specifically stated "on zargon's turn"
You can play it how you want, but I think more interpretation is being done than is needed here.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby The Admiral » April 7th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:If the designer had something else in mind, they wouldn't have specifically stated "on zargon's turn"
You can play it how you want, but I think more interpretation is being done than is needed here.

Yes, you're right. It's been a looooong time since I played this. Damage only done on Zargon's turn, so veil of mist is irrelevant.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 1st, 2019, 1:56 pm

I try to find ways to make Return of the Witch Lord more difficult for the heroes. Not to an insane degree, but this quest pack is one of the easier ones, considering skeletons and Zombies don't do much damage.
Personally, I'd mark damage to the heroes any time they cross Death Mist as well. Maybe I'd give them a pass with Veil of Mist.
In like manner I raise the stats of all monsters in the Forgotten Legion.
And I also let Kassandra and/or Skulmar stand with the Witch Lord in his Court on Quest 10 (given that they escaped their respective quests).

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby Jalapenotrellis » November 1st, 2019, 1:59 pm

I like that idea--if they escape, they get to come back!
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » November 1st, 2019, 3:00 pm

Jalapenotrellis wrote:I like that idea--if they escape, they get to come back!

Thanks, I also give Skulmar the Necromancer spells from WoM. There are very few bosses who use spells in RorWL, so if Skulmar uses Necromancer spells, they're still less effective then what the Witch Lord uses.

Rewards:
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Usergroups:

Postby The Admiral » November 2nd, 2019, 6:37 am

wallydubbs wrote:
Jalapenotrellis wrote:I like that idea--if they escape, they get to come back!

Thanks, I also give Skulmar the Necromancer spells from WoM. There are very few bosses who use spells in RorWL, so if Skulmar uses Necromancer spells, they're still less effective then what the Witch Lord uses.

Nice touch.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gav_el » March 4th, 2020, 12:39 pm

Heres what I will be using for my death mist going forward https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Etb-Nighthaunt-Myrmourn-Banshees-2018
Gav_el

Skeleton
Skeleton

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby Jalapenotrellis » April 1st, 2021, 1:26 am

So we just played this quest for the first time. Before I was replying as somebody who had just read through it.

If I were to play this again, I would not allow the heroes to stop on the death mist. That essentially gives them a free pass and the death mist can't do anything If there is just one hero left behind since they can just stop their movement on the death mist every turn by moving back and forth until they get a high enough role that the death mist can't catch up. It should be basically treated like something that you can't stop on. Other than that tweak, I just played it as it only does damage on Zargon's turn, which went pretty well.

Even with that tweak, one might consider making it something you have to jump over or take damage... But I would have to think about that versus how it plays with the above tweak. I'm leaning against this because it specifically says it just does damage on zargon's turn.

The quest otherwise is not that hard. There are a lot of traps you can't disarm because they're on the other side of the door which also enforces some damage they can't avoid.
Jalapenotrellis

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Return of the Witch Lord