• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Opened Doors

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc, from the Return of the Witch Lord Quest Pack.

Opened Doors

Postby drathe » February 18th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Currently working on the French Return of the Witch Lord scans HeroQuestFrance sent me, and I noticed that in quest 8, the Forbidden City, there are several doors that are open from the beginning of the quest (same for all European releases). This wasn't done for the North American edition. I'm curious how that quest played out for anyone who has played the European version. Does it actually add a new/unique element that was fun for everyone? How does it work for rooms that are closed off from the main board (an open door between two rooms, but the first room from the corridor has a closed door) since the rules state that the doors are open from the beginning and all furniture etc (excluding traps) are placed in those rooms at the beginning of the game? Shouldn't "line of sight" rules apply and overrule this (the doors are open once seen, but nothing is placed in the room until it comes into a Hero's "line of sight")?

I have a group that will be coming to this quest by summer and if it adds something fun, I may play my game with those doors open. I just need some clarification from those who have already done so. Thanks.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Opened Doors

Postby xela_elf » August 4th, 2009, 10:55 am

I don't know the answer but I still think the line of sight rule should still apply. By the way, the group you are talking about, is it us?
xela_elf

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: Español
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » August 4th, 2009, 11:07 am

I totally forgot about this. I was going to try it with the doors open this time just to see for myself how it plays. Alas... I forgot! :oops:

Yes, Xela_elf, you are in the group I was mentioning in this topic. Now... hurry up and play that final Witch Lord quest! :D

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby xela_elf » August 4th, 2009, 11:15 am

I do want to finish the last quest. Last time I was having a terrible luck with my dice rolling, for everything! Weak attacks, terrible defense and even the moving was slow. And don't forget trying to get a 6 to wake up! It took like 6 tries with 4 dice each time!
xela_elf

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby xela_elf » August 4th, 2009, 11:38 am

By the way, this quest pack is my favourite so far. Almost every quest had something new to add to the suspense and exciment of the quest.
xela_elf

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby xela_elf » August 4th, 2009, 11:42 am

I am really excited to see what the next pack has to offer. I am looking forward to the scouts and other mercenaries. :D
xela_elf

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby xela_elf » August 19th, 2009, 9:23 am

drathe, I was very impressed with the way you made me use my Genie spell to open the door in the last quest. There was nothing I could do but use it to open the door. Unless I wanted to leave the middle of the board unopened and not find what the contents were (I hate leaving closed doors, I could not do that). Anyway, I really enjoyed your home brewed quest, it was very intense, very enjoyable. So the point for this post was that once again I had to use a Genie to open a door. Twice YTD!
xela_elf

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » August 19th, 2009, 11:30 pm

Thanks. I really enjoyed making the Mind's Eye. Almost as much as seeing the faces of the Wizards at the end when they fight the last boss. Priceless!

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby xela_elf » August 26th, 2009, 7:43 am

I bet it was priceless :cry: I really thought I was done with when I saw the last boss. I had no usefull spells to use, no rapier that gave me extra attack and not even my full body points! I don't know how the wizard wiggled out of this one. I guess it was just keeping on fighting to the end (and a large amount of healing potions)
xela_elf

Skeleton
Skeleton

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 27th, 2018, 1:25 am

drathe wrote:Currently working on the French Return of the Witch Lord scans HeroQuestFrance sent me, and I noticed that in quest 8, the Forbidden City, there are several doors that are open from the beginning of the quest (same for all European releases). This wasn't done for the North American edition. I'm curious how that quest played out for anyone who has played the European version. Does it actually add a new/unique element that was fun for everyone? How does it work for rooms that are closed off from the main board (an open door between two rooms, but the first room from the corridor has a closed door) since the rules state that the doors are open from the beginning and all furniture etc (excluding traps) are placed in those rooms at the beginning of the game? Shouldn't "line of sight" rules apply and overrule this (the doors are open once seen, but nothing is placed in the room until it comes into a Hero's "line of sight")?
I have a group that will be coming to this quest by summer and if it adds something fun, I may play my game with those doors open. I just need some clarification from those who have already done so. Thanks.

I came across this and checked it out, having never played the EU version. The Parchment Text could have done a better job. It claims Loretome can tell little, yet four locations are placed on the board to start, the wandering dead in the halls are described, and the falling block traps are warned about.

I'd say the normal LoS rule for room placement is ignored. Having those treasure chests out its an important part of the lure that likely increases the turns spent in this Quest. And that means more monster fun for Morcar. Greedy players will learn the negative meaning of dungeon crawl, however.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Return of the Witch Lord