The Dwarven Forge

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc from the Kellar's Keep Quest Pack.

Re: The Dwarven Forge

Postby Daedalus » Friday June 3rd, 2011 3:33pm

drathe wrote:Now what I want to know is... What happened to the 'No searching for Treasure in the Corridors' rule? Yeah, yeah, I know the notes state it as a 'Special Room' but my Heroes always question it. The same situation with treasure in the corridor occurs in Quest 2 of Return of the Witch Lord (both versions).

To make this ambiguous possibility more clear to the players, they should be told while explaining rooms, corridors, and the Search For Treasure action that a corridor may serve as a room if it contains a piece of furniture, such as a chest. This may provide special treasure only; no additional treasure will be found in the room/corridor after this special treasure is found.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Postby Daedalus » Friday July 1st, 2011 3:05pm

el_flesh wrote:We treat all furniture as you would in the real world; carry chests (often using the half Ogre Zebs because of his strength) knock over bookcases, drag tables, throw throne etc.
Cripes, if you want to, you can make the weapon rack hold a massive war hammer which you can use to systematically demolish the stone tomb. Or a stone gargoyle, animated or not....

Extending Heroquest into more open quasi-role playing is something that I'm considering, too. If I figure it through, I suppose I'll post a house rule. The idea is a die roll to cover stuff like you said, with a few other actions. I don't want to ground it too much. Let Zargon be the judge.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » Monday November 11th, 2013 3:09pm

If you are playing with the original rules you can enter the special room with only two ways:
1) spellcaster: enters with pass through rock, returns with pass through rock (stored in his spell ring)
2) any hero: enters with pass through rock, returns with ring of return (if it is unused)
So if you are lucky you gain 300 gold coins! :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Friday January 17th, 2014 1:04am

AerynB wrote:Old topic, I know, but some players don't always remember the rules as we do. Dave sees a treasure chest; Dave searches for treasure, and usually without searching for traps first. (I'm gonna break him of that habit one of these days. *shakes head*) Anyhoo, I bet when we get to this quest, if he remembers to search for secret doors that is, he'll see the chest and search for treasure, forgetting that the space he's in is sorta supposed to be a corridor.

Don't know what to say about the secret door behind the chest though. Hmm... I know in one of the main system quests (*goes to look up the name*) Quest 5 Melar's Maze, I think, there's a secret door that you only find by searching for treasure, and in this case the throne slides out of the way to reveal the door. I suppose this could happen in this KK quest... but looking at the map, there's really no room for the chest to slide anywhere... darnit. Well, this is probably stupid, but maybe the hero searching for secret doors lifts the chest out of the way and puts it on the table, or shoves it under the table... or, yeah, it's kind of a messed up situation. I think I'm gonna do what drathe suggested and put room F on the other side of the board near the fireplace room. :) There all fixed.

Terrellia's Maze, Quest 3 from The Mage of the Mirror, also features a secret door located behind a piece of furniture, in room E. This time, a bookcase moves up to reveal the secret door and provide access to the room beyond. A search for treasure is again the method for revealing the secret door.

Given the bookcase moved upwards rather than to a side, it could be rationalized the blocking chest in the forge room could sink downwards. The tile could also rotate so that the underside of the floor was now upwards and the chest was below. Neither description was mentioned in the Quest notes, unfortunately. It would be a matter of preference to apply the search-for-treasure-and-reveal-the-secret-door method here.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » Friday January 17th, 2014 1:10am

Its trapped. You have to move onto a trap to disarm it, therefore you have to be able to move on top of a trapped treasure chest.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Sunday March 2nd, 2014 5:24am

I second Chaotic Prime's simple solution. It allows the secret door search by applying the trap disarming rules. In the future, I think I'll always remove a chest so that a Hero figure can be placed on the square, and replace the chest after the Hero vacates the square.

Most other furniture pieces take up more than one square space, so in those cases it wouldn't be wise to remove the furniture. Doing so would open spaces for movement that are actually filled by the furniture, such as a bookshelf. To avoid such conflicts, Quest notes should mention the large furniture trap can be disarmed from an adjacent space.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » Sunday March 2nd, 2014 7:06am

Nah, I simply make them stand adjacent before they can search. It's a chest. Not a pit.

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Doomguard
Doomguard

Forum Language: Nederlands
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Sunday March 2nd, 2014 8:42am

Adjacent disarming of a chest trap works fine, of course. The EU rule works as well, though I feel it is oversimplified: "If a player searches for traps in a room that contains a trapped treasure chest the trap is found and rendered harmless."

In the NA rules finding, springing, and disarming treasure chests are governed by the rules covering chest/furniture traps. They are found and disarmed with seperate actions, and are resolved in the same way as other types of traps. That means it is necessary to move onto the square that contains a trapped chest in order to disarm it.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » Sunday March 2nd, 2014 1:46pm

I believe there is precedent in the rules for picking up and carrying chests.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » Sunday March 2nd, 2014 2:13pm

In the quest book. Prince Magnus' Gold. Ergo, special rules.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Kellar's Keep