• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Split Path

Discuss Quests, Cards, Monsters etc from the Kellar's Keep Quest Pack.

Split Path

Postby Redav » Tuesday January 21st, 2014 5:17pm

When exiting from The Easter Passage quest in the UK print, you have two options being The East Gate and Belorn's Mine. Logically speaking, they both headed to Grin's Crag so you play one or the other but I was wondering whether anyone plays Belorn's Maze after The Eastern Passage? It seems in the NA version the door to the East Gate Mine cannot be opened (or have I misread / missed something?).
Campaign Status
EU Group: Kellar's Keep - The Dwarven Forge
NA Group: The Gathering Storm - Barak Tor - Barrow of the Witch Lord

Project's Status
Rules: House Rules and Clarifications are open for discussion
Campaigns: Thinking
Alternate Mini's: Planning and acquiring
Painting: I've started painting... :o

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Redav

Storm Master
Storm Master

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Split Path

Postby Sjeng » Wednesday January 22nd, 2014 5:15am

We just played em both in the book's order. Why waste a good quest?

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Doomguard
Doomguard

Forum Language: Nederlands
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Split Path

Postby Daedalus » Sunday March 2nd, 2014 5:00am

Speaking as an NA rules player, I can see why the dual exit option was dropped. Like you point out using precedence, logically speaking an exit should progress to the next Quest. However, dual exits presents a new problem. I read contradictory direction from the Parchment text of the Eastern Passage if Belorn's Mine is chosen as a route to Grin's Crag instead:

"The East Gate marks the end of the Halls of Belorn. But to get there you must first negotiate the Eastern passage. The foe will be many, so you must fight your way through to the East Gate. You must enter through the south door. The last part of Grin's stone map is to be found here."

It appears to me that there are two objectives to complete: find the last part of Grin's stone map and fight through to the East Gate.

Furthermore, the Parchment text of the East Gate mentions: "The East Gate must now be passed if you are to reach Grin's Crag and rescue the King." Belorn's Mine mentions nothing of the Quest goal, but rather appears as an aside for monster-killing treasure hunters. This leads me to the conclusion that it is preferable to treat Belorn's Mine as a side Quest rather than a back door that progresses to Grin's Crag. If Belorn's Mine is instead used as a route to Grin's Crag, it is possible for the Heroes to exit the Great Citadel and reach Grin's Crag with as little as five Goblins, an Orc, a Skeleton, and a couple traps to stop them. The top-left, outer-corridor exit path of Belorn's Mine is too easy and too possible.

The odd point of my interpretation is what to do with the exit of Belorn's Mine. Fluff-wise, the Great Citadel implies a large area which could include a one-way shaft from Belorn's Mine. I'd say have the exit of Belorn's Mine connect back to the beginning of The Eastern Passage through this loop. This insures the second Quest goal of the Eastern Passage is fufilled, and avoids the Belorn's Mine cake walk. Like Sjeng said, why waste a good Quest?

Regarding the NA version of the East Gate, a failure doesn't prevent a Hero from making a new attempt to pass the gate on his following turn. That insures all Heroes will eventually succeed. To avoid a lame roll-fest with inevitable results (my group was forced to do that--very anti-climatic), just have the first success open the door for all Heroes.
________
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS YOU

VOTE NOW!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Kellar's Keep